Written By:Adam H. Rosenblum
Your Dedicated & Trusted Legal Team
3 Generations & 100+ Years of Combined Legal Experience
Choosing the right attorney is comparable to choosing the right specialty doctor, contractor, personal trainer, financial advisor, or a coach of some kind. The decision of who you select is totally up to you, but it’s important to choose wisely.
Whether you’re looking for the right personal injury (PI) attorney in New Jersey or New York, we’ve prepared this article to help you navigate through the selection process.
People often ask, “Why should I hire an attorney?” Rarely should you pursue a personal injury claim on your own. In almost every scenario imaginable, representing yourself in court can result in disappointment and being cut short of the compensation and the justice you truly deserve. Additionally, some injuries may not be apparent for days, weeks, or even months after an accident. With an experienced personal injury attorney by your side for every step of the way, you can ensure that you will have the best possible chance to receive the justice and compensation you deserve.
Factors to Consider
There are endless reasons why having the right personal injury attorney is crucial. Below are some things to look for and the reasons why they are important:
- Specialized experience: You will want your attorney to have expertise in PI law. An experienced PI attorney will be able to best utilize your time and while achieving the best possible results.They know how to approach a PI case, no matter what the circumstances are, and develop a “game plan” to ensure the best chances of success. A general practice attorney is more of a “jack of all trades,” meaning they do many different areas without specializing in one. Therefore, they may not have the same experience to utilize for your case. For example, let’s suppose that you are having severe breathing issues… would you seek out a general practice doctor who knows less about the complexities of the respiratory system, or a pulmonologist who specializes in just that? It goes without saying…you would likely choose the specialist, so you can get the best possible care and the same goes for hiring an attorney.
- Consultation and resources: Some firms will charge you for even brief legal advice on your matter. Make sure you find a PI law firm that is willing to give you a free, no-obligation initial consultation. You should also assess how they treat you, how they respond to your questions, whether or not they have the resources to build and fight a winning case, and if they demonstrate their dedication to getting their clients the best possible results. Firms and attorneys as described above are often the ones you can depend on long term, to see your case through to the end.
- Who’s actually working for you: Sometimes, when you hire a lawyer or a law firm, it may not be very clear who is doing the bulk of your work. As a client, it is your right to ask who will be handling your case so that you know who to contact and can be at ease knowing who is doing the work to give you the justice you deserve. Don’t be afraid to ask!
- Client reviews/testimonials: Sometimes, the best way to see all of the honest pros and cons about a PI attorney or firm will be to seek out client reviews and/or testimonials. This will allow you to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of different attorneys and firms and how their clients felt about their representations.
- Location: Laws differ in every state, town and city. This means if you are in New York, you will want to hire a New York attorney to ensure they are familiar with the specific region’s laws and court procedures. For specific cities and towns, sometimes the laws may significantly vary. For example, if your incident occurred in New York City, you may want an attorney experienced specifically in New York City.
- Meet and greet: It is very important to feel comfortable with your attorney and their firm. If permitted by Covid-19 restrictions, set up a time to visit your attorney or firm in person to meet them and speak in person or if not, ask for a video meeting.This may allow you to build a better relationship with your chosen attorney and put a face to the name. A great relationship with someone in your corner can take a huge load of stress off of your shoulders during a stressful time.
- Reputation and “Track Record”: Selecting the right attorney/firm also means looking for firms with a good reputation. Aside from reputation, it may be useful to do some research on your attorney or firm of choice and their success rate. If possible to locate such information, it would be helpful to know how many similar cases they have won or lost. Many firms will actually have a lot of their results right on their website for you to review.
- Trial experience: We cannot stress this point enough… You need to find a legal team that has demonstrated success in out-of-court settlements, as well as in the courtroom. Many lawyers who do not have extensive trial experience may suggest that you settle so they get an easy commission and don’t have to incur the substantial expenses typically associated with going to trial. When you have an PI legal team with trial experience, they will be ready to go to trial and fight for you if the opposing party isn’t willing to settle for a fair amount ahead of time. One way to look out for this is to see if the firm has lawyers who are members of national trial lawyer groups. Sometimes attorneys will have plaques of their recognition from these groups within their offices, and other times, you may be able to find this information on their LinkedIn, or just looking up their firm/attorney profile website. This is a good indication that they are serious about becoming the best trial lawyers they can possibly be. These groups consist of some of the best trial lawyers in the nation and they all collaborate and continually learn from one another.
- Communication and availability: It is imperative that you notice how well the firm communicated with you and how flexible they are to work around your schedule. You, as the client, wield a lot of power and your legal representation carries with it a lot of responsibility. Make sure to value those firms and attorneys who prioritize you and your needs.
Why Is Choosing the Right PI Attorney Important?
Finding the right attorney can seem like a daunting task, however it is one of the most important things you should do after an injury inducing incident. Whether this is because you don’t have the time to dedicate to recruiting efforts, you are stressed due to your personal injury troubles, financial troubles, and/or lack of peace of mind. Luckily for you, there are some great personal injury attorneys who truly care about people and who are happy to build a great relationship with you while fighting for the justice you deserve. Here at Rosenblum Law, we care about just that and if you consider the ten factors covered in this article, we feel you can have the best possible chance of success!
Who Should You Contact?
Injuries caused by others’ negligence can cause stress, depression, and financial struggles for you and your loved ones. However, with the help of an experienced personal injury attorney, your injury doesn’t have to be your downfall. If you want to ensure you have the best chance at being compensated for what you deserve, you will need the support of the highly-skilled, determined, and caring team, like we have here at Rosenblum Law. We offer unparalleled experience and attention to our clients’ needs. Don’t hesitate to take the first step on your road to recovery by emailing or calling 888-815-3649 for free consultation.
About The Author
Adam is the founding attorney and principal of Rosenblum Law. With more than two decades of legal experience in numerous areas of law practice, his primary focus is law firm management and business development.Read More
Latest from Our BlogView More Blog Posts
Rosenblum Law is committed to delivering informative content of the highest quality. All content is subject to our rigorous editorial standards for relevance, accuracy, sourcing, and objectivity. Everything is fact-checked by an editor and reviewed for legal soundness by one of our practicing attorneys prior to being published.
How to Cite Rosenblum Law’s Article
Adam H. Rosenblum (Nov 3, 2022). Serious Spinal Injuries Call for Serious Legal Attention. Rosenblum Law Firm, https://rosenblumlaw.com/serious-spinal-injuries-call-for-legal-attention/
Adam H. Rosenblum "Serious Spinal Injuries Call for Serious Legal Attention". Rosenblum Law Firm, Nov 3, 2022. https://rosenblumlaw.com/serious-spinal-injuries-call-for-legal-attention/