Leaving Scene of an Accident in NJ
Uploaded on: Jun 13, 2022
Duration: 2.5 Min

Video Description

Being involved in a car accident can be terrifying, and it’s not surprising that some people flee the scene. However, New Jersey law requires people involved in accidents to exchange information. Leaving the scene before doing that can get you charged with a traffic violation or even a crime. If that happens to you, you’ll need a lawyer to represent you.

What should I do if I’m a car accident?

Stop and exchange your personal and insurance information with the other driver. Even if you just backed into a parked car, you still need to leave a note with your information. Nowadays, with the number of traffic and security cameras around, it’s very difficult to get away with fleeing the scene of an accident. At the scene, don’t admit any fault for the accident, because this can be used against you in lawsuits.


Leaving the scene of an accident before exchanging information is a traffic offense that can lead to 30 days in jail and fines of $200 to $400. In addition, your license will be suspended for 30 days and you’ll receive 2 points on your license. If this takes you to 6 or more points, you’ll have to pay a surcharge of $450 or more.

If someone was injured or killed in the accident, you’ll also be charged with a crime. This is a felony conviction with a prison sentence of 3 to 5 years, a 1-year license suspension, up to $25,000 in fines, and 8 points on your license. This means you’ll automatically face a surcharge of at least $600. Plus, if convicted, you’ll have a criminal record that will make it harder for you to find a job, housing, or a loan.

Whether you’re charged with a traffic violation or crime, your insurance premiums will skyrocket if you’re convicted. One study found that New Jersey car insurance premiums go up 84% for people convicted of fleeing the scene of an accident. Because these stakes are so high, you need an experienced attorney to represent you if you’re charged with fleeing the scene of an accident.

How do I beat charges for fleeing the scene?

Depending on the facts of your case, we might be able to prove you did stop and the other driver refused your information, or that it was impossible for you to safely stop. But most of the time, the best option is a plea deal. We can often negotiate the charge down to a lesser offense. This has to be done carefully because a guilty plea can be used against you in a civil lawsuit for the accident. There’s a way to plead with a civil reservation to avoid this, but the procedure is technical and you’re best off having a lawyer to help you.

Who should I contact if I’ve been charged with fleeing the scene of an accident?

Contact Rosenblum Law for a free consultation. Our experienced traffic attorneys will fight to get you the best outcome possible. Our contact information is on the screen and at the bottom of the page.

Why Choose Rosenblum Law?

A+ Rated by The Better Business Bureau
The NACDA voted us “Top 10” in criminal defense
100+ Years of combined legal experience
Get A Free Consultation Today